A Georgia man is being hailed as a hero after saving a baby he saw crawling near a highway last Friday.
“I had seen something out of the corner of my eye, and I thought it was a baby,” Bryant Collins told WXIA-TV. “I just stopped and, when I got out, there was a baby … almost in the highway.”
A man is being hailed as a hero for saving a baby on the side of the road last Friday. (Image source: WXIA-TV Facebook page)
A man is being hailed as a hero for saving a baby on the side of the road last Friday. (Image source: WXIA-TV Facebook page)
The 15-month-old baby had crawled through the woods — 300 yards from home — and nearly made her way onto a highway before Collins made the rescue.
Collins’ reaction?
“The same that yours would have been, man … ‘What the hell is going on? A baby?’” he told WXIA.
After picking up the infant from the side of the road, Collins dialed 911. Police arrested the girl’s father Timothy Pickens and may arrest her mother as well, WXIA reported.
A Georgia man called authorities after he stumbled upon a baby crawling near a highway last Friday. (Image source: Screen grab via WXIA-TV)
A Georgia man called authorities after he stumbled upon a baby crawling near a highway last Friday. (Image source: Screen grab via WXIA-TV)
“Everything was pretty much superficial that we saw,” Madison County sheriff Kip Thomas said. “Honestly that’s almost a miracle: that a 15-month-old can go that far from her house, into the woods, fall down an embankment, wind up near a major highway, and really not get hurt that bad.”
Ultimately, Collins stayed with the baby for about two hours.
“The baby started crying,” he told WXIA, “so I turned my phone on and let her listen to some gospel music, and she calmed right down.”
“I turned my phone on and let her listen to some gospel music, and she calmed right down.”
Share:
Collins added to the local outlet that he is an ex-convict who served time and reformed himself in prison.
“I did ten years in the federal institution for manufacturing cocaine,” he said. “When I was in prison, I made a very conscientious effort to change, and I did.”
According to WXIA, he’s been clean for five years and now works as an auto repairman.
(H/T: @JoshuaChavers)

Follow Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) on Twitter